My Journey with Time Management
When I was in the corporate realm time management was pounded into our heads with a mallet. We would have these elaborate meetings were our VP would hand out these shiny new planners. For about 2 weeks everyone in the office was on their top game. We carried those planners around like a badge of honor taking notes and checking in to see what our schedules looked like. Then, without fail one by one our planners went from that thing that kept us in line, to an overpriced wallet.
This spilled over into my entrepreneurial journey. I’d buy a planner + all the attachments. Get real excited for a week or so and then the planner would turn into an overpriced wallet or notebook. Meanwhile, I would have no more clarity or focus in my home or business life. I would think to myself, “What the heck, how is this time management thing working for other people and not me?”
I know many entrepreneurial moms have the same question. “How can I make time for my business and family without feeling burned out at the end of the day?”
Three Reasons Entrepreneurial Moms Don’t Need to Manage Time
Here’s what I know for sure, time management ain’t getting the job done for many entrepreneurial moms. Pulling out planners and placing time into these 30, 45, and 60-minute pockets is only driving us crazy, raising our anxiety, and stressing us smooth the hell out.
So here are my 3 reasons why mom entrepreneurs need to ditch time management and come on over to time mastery:
- It always feels like you’ll never get it right – Whenever you try and manage your time, you always find yourself with more stuff to do than day to do it in no matter how perfect your schedule is.
- You feel exhausted at the end of the day – Time management can leave you feeling plum tuckered out at the end of the day because you find yourself managing time versus managing your energy.
- You feel less than – When you’re not completing even a fraction of the items on your task list while others are whizzing through, it can feel like maybe there is something wrong with you when in fact nothing is wrong with you.
What makes time mastery so different than time management? Time mastery is the ability to effectively use one’s collective energy to create the time and resources they need to reach all goals. When you focus on your energy and how you want to feel you find yourself becoming more conscious of what you’re spending your energy on versus just what you feel you gotta do.
- Feeling – When you are clear about how you want to feel at the end of each day you tend to spend less time and energy in activities that aren’t taking you somewhere.
- Eliminate Distractions – Eliminating and/or reducing the distractions you allow into your day keep you on target. Moms find that they feel less of the burnout and more in target with their foundational feelings when they get rid of the things that suck up their time and energy (TV, Facebook, random coffee dates with your favorite sister friend).
- Boundaries – Boundaries are the nails and glue that hold it all together. Boundaries aren’t meet to deprive, they are built to help you thrive.Saying no (and meaning it), staying focused on your schedules, making sure that your family or staff is following through on tasks you set for them, are all forms of boundaries. Set them, enforce them, and repeat. When you set boundaries for yourself or others that don’t get followed, it messes with your self-esteem and your credibility.
- Planning – You gotta have a workable plan for your day. Creating your schedules on the fly, or keeping them in your head is most likely driving you a bit mad. Something always gets forgotten or confused and you find that the list continues to grow wild like tree roots. Leaving you feeling like you’ll never accomplish anything and tired just thinking about what you have to do. Create a daily plan that is short and sweet. The rule of thumb for my moms is no more than per day! Your task list should be hyper-focused and taking you closer to your end goal for the day. Create your task list with the end in mind.
Let Me Know:
Enter which time mastery technique you need to implement in the comments below. I’d love to hear where and how I can help you grow and breathe.
If you are ready to crush the distractions in your day to get more done, click here to download the 5 Ways to Crush Distractions Guide. It’s a one page guide to help you create balance between your family and business.
Love Yourself, Love Your Family, Love Your Business